Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Limestone Park Blueberry Orchard U-Pick

1456 Limestone Parkway
Brierfield, AL(205) 926-9672 (Call ahead of time to make sure they're ripe!)

Nestled pleasantly in Mr. Charles Williams' private property in Brierfield, Limestone Park has always been a nice little haven for anyone wanting to take a relaxing swim, tubing run, or canoe trip down the Cahaba. However, for those whose days require a little bit more than completely unfettered relaxation, they should feel free to show up either very early in the morning or very late in the day to pick blueberries from Mr. Williams' orchard.

His orchard is just a short drive back from the entrance of the park, with about seventy-five bushes growing wild behind a fenced-in enclosure. All interested parties should wear shoes and pants, as ants are a small but annoying issue, and can expect to have the fruits of their labors bought back from Mr. Williams at the price of five dollars for every gallon picked, or can keep every other gallon picked for themselves. Not only does your work yield you a substantial bit of pocket change, it also ensures that local produce is available to the Montevallo area, since Limestone Park sells their berries to Lucky's Foodland.

Initially, I set out on Wednesday morning ready to sell all my harvest back, but I quickly learned that I have a very inadequate conception of how many blueberries it takes to fill a gallon. I spent two hours picking on Wednesday and wound up with only about two-and-a-quarter gallons. So, even though I was stuffed from all the berries I couldn't stop eating, I decided to take all but a gallon back with me.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment